Sunday, June 19, 2011

Best Dad in the Universe

When it came time to think up Fathers Day cards, I tried very hard to come up with something "manly" but *sigh* I just wasn't able to make it happen. Had to fall back on my favorite whimsical cards again this year...sorry guys! This first card was made for my dad.
I chose to do a space themed center pleated card using the rocketship from the Nifty Fifties cartridge. To make it look like it was "blastin' off" I added the "flame" from the rocket image from the B is for Boys cartridge. And inspired by Jin's super cute submarine card, I decided to use the panda from Create A Critter to peek through the windows of the rocket.

Here's the card on the inside...
All the stars and rockets were attached to the pleated center of the card using strips of clear acetate to give the impression of them floating in space.
I used my computer printer to print out the individual red letters for Happy Fathers Day then used star images (also from the Nifty Fiftties cartridge) to cut them out. The two small spaceships and smaller stars were cut from the Outer Space Sizzlits Decorative Strip die.
Here's a view from the top showing the top half of the card on the inside with the planets cut from the Superman cartridge. Large purple planet on the bottom half was dry embossed with a Cuttlebug Embossing folder and little green martian is from the Everyday Paperdolls cartridge.
I usually make similar style cards on Fathers Day for both my dad and dh but this year was different. I let my guard down one day and dh got a full view of my dad's card as I was putting it together. "Oh, that's a neat card!" he said. With the element of surprise now gone, I somehow felt compelled to create something different for dh. So this is the card he got instead...
At first glance, no one would ever guess this was a card for a guy. Short on time, and pressured to quickly come up with something different, I guess I wasn't thinking straight. It wasn't until after the card was finished that I took a good look at it and realized...OOPS!...the cuts on the front of the card weren't quite appropriate for a "guy card".
I guess if you read the greeting on the front panel, you might understand why I added the diamond ring, perfume and roses. (The ring and roses came from the Sweethearts cartridge and bottle of perfume from the Paisley cartridge.)
On the inside of the card, I used a floating tabletop pop-up, which I learned to do from a tutorial over at my favorite go-to  place for interactive cards, Carol's Extreme Cards And Papercrafting blog.

A view from the top shows two of the three the I-beams that hold the candy 1-1/2 inches above the card to give the illusion of it floating...
For the inside of this card, the big Sugar Daddy candy (remember those?...mmm...yum!) was created in Design Studio by welding various shapes from the George cartridge.Confetti embellies on the candy wrapper and background are also from George. I used glitter cardstock from DCWV to cut the candy, and the name "Sugar Daddy" is from Mickey Font cut in red vinyl.
Awww...and isn't this little puppy just adorable? She's cut from Cottage Cutz' Shih Tsu Peeker die. I did her in white and left out the fuzzy eyebrows from the original die so she'd look more like our Maltese, Latte. "xoxo" and "love you" were created in MTC using Lettering Delights true type font, LD  Charming Bold, and popped up with foam tape.
So while the front of dh's Fathers Day card didn't turn out too well, I hope he enjoys what's inside! Meanwhile, hope everyone is enjoying Fathers Day with the men in your lives. Don't forget to let those guys know that they are truly loved and appreciated!

6 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

what gorgeous cards! luv the one with the panda peeking through the windows, that is so cute...

Jenny said...

You never cease to amaze me! I just LOVE that alien card! I'm gonna have to case how you did the message. It always stumps me when trying to figure out what goes on the inside, but I like your idea of putting the sentiment there. Your other card is cute too- even if the images are a bit girly. hee hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Fun, fun card!
Love all of the elements.
Thanks, Eunice.
PJ(Jessie Adams)

Kelly said...

What a collection of fabulous cards! Love the Panda's peeking out of the windows of the rocket and the stars with the space scene on the inside is awesome! Love the sentiment for your husband's card and the inside...OMG what a surprise! I love it. Thanks for showing the top view that shows how you did the floating pop up. Your talent totally amazes me!

Michele said...

AMAZING Eunice! I absolutely LOVE your cards! You put so much love, time, and thought into your cards and it truly shows! :-)

CHARLOTTE said...

Love your cards, Eunice. You put so much thought and planning ... they are out of this world.