Wednesday, January 19, 2011

2011 Hops in Like a Rabbit

Happy New Year! For my very first project of the year and in celebration of the Year of the Rabbit, I made up a little over a dozen of these large trapezoid boxes filled with goodies to give to relatives at our New Years get together. I found a Design Studio cutfile for large chipboard boxes created and shared by Tanya Strom over at Custom Crops.
Tanya's cutfile was for just the right size box I was looking for, but because it was intended to be constructed from chipboard and tape, the sides of the box are not connected in the original cutfile.  Since I wanted to use cardstock instead to make my boxes, I tweaked & modified Tanya's file in Design Studio a bit by welding the sides and bottom together, adding scorelines for folding and tabs to the sides that needed to be glued.
The finished size of this box is large...about 7 inches wide, 4-1/2 inches high and about 3-1/2 inches in depth...and takes 3 sheets of 12x12 cardstock to create. The bottom of the box is reinforced with two layers of cardstock, which makes it sturdy enough to hold at least a dozen or more cookies.
To decorate my boxes, I wanted to use washi paper, but with each box requiring 1-1/2 sheets of 8x11 paper, and over a dozen boxes to embellish, I knew I would run short. Instead, I used a scanned image of some washi paper I had, printed up on Ice Gold Text. The rabbit is a cutfile created using Make The Cut (MTC) from an image found on the internet. Filled the boxes with goodies and finished it off with some ribbon tied into a bow.

5 comments:

Creations by Patti said...

Oh Eunice,

I knew you would be able to come up with a Year of the Rabbit soemthing and this project does not disappoint. I have beens earching for a cut little rabbit to use for Chinese New Year. You are so clever to have found it on line and are so skilled with MTC!!! Love it!!! Thanks for sharing..........

my best,
Patti

Cyndi said...

this is such a beautiful project! love the unique shape of the box and colors!

Joy said...

Eunice, this is totally fabulous! I love this and was just looking at making those kind of boxes. you beat me too it! love it and that rabbit is so cute! you gotta teach me one day! lol! what a way to start off the new year...with a sweet 3-D creation! keep them coming! have a wonderful week!

Cheryl said...

Hi Eunice,
What a wonderful and amazing rabbit box!!! I gotta learn how to do those cut files. I have the Gypsy and have not even opened the box (over a year ago). You're so clever with all your projects! Have a great week!

Kelly said...

What an fabulous idea to start off the new year! I'm sure they were loved by all.