Monday, December 1, 2008

Final Exam Time...Hang In There, Baby!

This week is Finals Week at dd's college, so I wanted to send her special card and a care package to lift her spirits and to let her know that we were all thinking of her and rootin' for her to do well.


I first saw a cut similar to the monkey on this card several months ago on the Cricut Message board posted by the talented Jen C. She had seen a cute hanging monkey rubberstamp from WhipperSnapper stamps and created an absolutely awesome cut file for it. You can will be blown away when you take a peek at the darling card made by Jen on her blog. I knew right away it would make a perfect card to send dd to cheer her up during exam time. Then just a couple weeks ago, while browsing Jen Y's Little C's online store, I came across this cute little monkey stamp by CC Designs. Wanted to try and do a cut file of this little guy, but I needed help getting started. I studied Jen C's monkey cut file carefully to learn how she used shapes from the George cart to create her monkey's body and used that as a springboard to create my monkey. Thank you, Jen C...I never would have been able to do this one without your help!


I decided to do a sliding pop up greeting card to showcase my monkey. Found an easy to follow tutorial at Splitcoast Stampers. Pulling up on the ribbon tie at the top of the card causes the front panel of the card to slide open and pop up, revealing a message underneath. An additional message can be added to the panel that pulls out, and I used that panel to stick on a Starbucks Gift Card. Used paper from DCWV's Spring Glitter Stack for the base of the card. Monkey, tree, leaves and book are all from George , created and cut with Design Studio. Can't tell from the photos but monkey's head was assembled using foam tape for some added fun dimension. Added litttle pink heart brads (Creative Impressions) to the corners, and sentiments are computer generated (Flea Market font from 2Ps).



So along with this card and several cans of dd's favorite Aloha Maid Diet Iced Tea, I also sent along a Tupperware container filled with another batch of Furikake Cereal Mix, labelled as "Brain Food", ...zero calories, and specially formulated to promote "high efficiency learning and memory retention with low stress factor..." to help curb those late nite exam munchies. Lol, mom thinks she's a comedian!











"Brain Food" title is Quickutz Mini Blossom font, cute little girl head is from the Paper Dolls Cartridge and spectacles were easily put together with George Cartridge in Design Studio.

Had so much fun putting this all together..."Hope it brings a smile to your face, dd, and helps to lighten the stress just a bit. We're all counting the days till you'll be home again for the holidays!"

6 comments:

Jen said...

The student is now a Master!
Bravo lady!! Now I can start collecting your files. :o)

Joy said...

what a great monkey! it looks just like the stamp...don't they look so cute! great job on figuring out what to do to make your own art! I am so amazed by what you can do with your cricut..I am so debating if I should get one. TFS!

Dawne said...

Very cute your stuffs =) I especially love the brain food container you made. So creative!

Teri said...

Hey Eunice! Love this monkey!! You and Jen are so talented using your cricut machine. I have to dust mine - haha! Love your card and the brain food! Your dd will love it!! You are such a good mom to send her these words of encouragement!! xoxo

nicky w. said...

Cute care package Eunice! I especially like the brain food, what a cool idea! Thanks for visiting my blog...in response to your comment on my hello kitty post, so far, it's been a month since I tried the glitter/zyron method on a different project and it seems to be holding well...I just went to touch it and no glitter got on my finger. : ) Hope it holds well for your projects!

sittinprettyinpink said...

What a lucky girl I am to have a Mommy like you!

<3
dd