Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Golfer Sliceform Sphere Pop Up

Excited to share a new type of paper craft I've recently started to explore.I've always been intrigued with sliceform style cards and paper crafts, so when I saw cutting templates to assemble pop up sliceform crafts being offered for sale on Etsy, I couldn't resist giving one a try. Since I'm always looking for new ideas for golf themed cards to make for hubby this was perfect to use as his birthday card/gift.

At first I was afraid the design on this would be too intricate to cut on my Silhouette Cameo but it actually cut quite well. There are many layers to this sliceform orb; it took 26 sheets of 8.5 x 11 cardstock to make this!
I watched the video tutorial on the assembly and it looked like it would be pretty easy. But I won't lie, assembling all the various layers to create this was a bit challenging.  The first 6 layers were easy but I began to struggle from layer 7. My layers started to tear, I got frustrated, and was ready to give up! It was a good thing I decided to message the designer for help. She gave the helpful tips I needed and told me not to give up. I tried what she suggested and was able to finish the assembly without any more problems. I'm still puzzled as to why she doesn't add those tips to her assembly video.

The finished pop up is about 8 inches round, which I thought was a nice size. The photo you see here is a side view shot taken from the top.

This is the LED wooden display base that I purchased from Amazon to provide the lighting which gives the beautiful lighted glow you see inside the orb. These are reasonably priced at about $6 each and are available in many different sizes.

One of the neatest things about these sliceform orbs are how they fold flat. With all the layers it took to make this one, it flattened to a thickness of about one fourth inch.
I really liked how this sliceform pop up turned out. Now that I understand how to put these together, I'm pretty certain I will start trying different designs of this type of papercraft. If you think you'd like to give this a try as well, you can see all of Xuyen Nguyen's designs at Xuyen Craft. Hubby was really happy with his golf shadow box orb and now has it displayed on his desk


1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you made that card. You must have the patience of a saint and the steadiness of a statue. I wouldn't even dream of making anything that complicated. Please do show your future creations. Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring.