Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Cupcake Accordion Birthday Card

This rectangular format accordion cupcake card and matching gift card holder was created for a dear friend's birthday.

Inspired by the fun landscape cupcake cards created by others using Karen Burniston's dies, I did some experimenting in Make the Cut with the swing through card cutfile I used to create my Thanksgiving card last year.  I used a simple svg cutting file of a cupcake from Design Street , then created and welded their shadow layers to add the trio of paper pieced of cupcakes to the card.

I used a Whimsy Stamps die for the word "Birthday" on the center panel. "Happy" and the shadow cuts were created in Make the Cut. Streamer confetti embellishments were die cut with Karen Burniston Big Birthday Charms set.


Each of the panels on this card measures 7.25" x 4.25" so the finished card size is quite large. I like that the larger size makes it easier to embellish and decorate,  but I found that I had to reinforce each panel with an extra layer of cardstock to keep my card sturdy enough and prevent it from buckling as it's pulled open. Next time around I may have to consider increasing the width of the frame borders to make it stronger.

Here's a view from the top of the sccordion card opened. 

While searchng online for ideas for giftcard holders, I came across a cupcake shaped giftcard holder shared by Gina Creates that I thought would go perfectly with the cupcake accordion card. Gina shares a free svg file to create her cupcake giftcard holder on her website. I did use Gina's idea of creating a pocket on the top of the cupcake for the giftcard as well as in the cupcake liner for the cupcake, but I  used the same cupcake image I used on my card instead. Finished it off with a bit of stickles glitter on the frosting and candle flame for some bling.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Yummo! Your cupcake card and gift card holder are delicious! Love the colors you chose and the overall layout of the card. You certainly will make your friend very happy on her birthday! Thanks for sharing your great ideas and photos.