Friday, February 16, 2018

Kung Hay Fat Choy, Year of the Dog!

Kung Hay Fat Choy! Xian Nian Kuai Le! Happy Chinese New Year! I made a dozen of these petal style boxes to hold the almond cookies I baked this year for giving to friends and family.

I've made petal style envelopes before and these boxes are really just the same but with a larger depth. I wanted my boxes to be large enough to hold half a dozen cookies so I created them to be 5 inches square with a depth of 1-7/8 inches. I used the tutorial by Amber on the Damask Love website as a springboard to design my template.

Text weight Stardream paper was used to cut the silhouette of the dog, gold Stardream cardstock to cut the Chinese medallion, and textured gold foil board for the backing. I used digitized washi paper for the box top flaps.

And though we won't be able to spend Chinese New Years with our granddaughter this year, I put together this simple little card to send along with the cookies and some fun goodies. 

The paper pieced furry puppy is an old cutting file from Treasure Box Designs. To suit the occasion, I dressed her in a Mandarin skull cap, created in Make the Cut design program using basic shapes; and made a mini lai see envelope for her to hold. Varied sizes of cherry blossoms were cut from washi paper and gold cardstock, using punches (Carl, Punch Bunch) and dies (the Frantic Stamper).


2 comments:

Lynn said...

Ah, so much love went into those cookie boxes and that adorable card...with Latte holding a money envelope? Again, I know your grand-daughter is too young to appreciate your efforts but hopefully her parents are saving all the beautiful cards for her to enjoy when she is older. Amazing craft work as usual...thanks for sharing.

Shirley N said...

What fabulous New Year creations you made, Eunice, your workmanship is just amazing! Your gift boxes and Evie's card are absolutely stunning, your beautiful paper choices made it all the more beautiful. Love it!