Saturday, August 5, 2017

Miya's ONE!

Earlier this year we received an invitation to a First Birthday celebration for little Miya. I thought the kokeshi doll on her invite was so cute, I knew right away I wanted to try and recreate a paper pieced version for Miya's birthday card.

Happily, Make the Cut design program had no trouble rendering the kokeshi doll image on the invitation into  a cutting file. I used washi paper for her kimono and added stickles to her obi for some glittery fun. Varied size sakura were cut from Carl and Punch Bunch punches. "Miya's ONE!" was cut using New Times Roman font, and the fancy label panel was traced from an image found on Pinterest, then run through an embossing folder from Cuttlebug's Asian Bundle.

I chose to do a Surprise Sliding Pop Up style card to showcase the little kokeshi for Miya's card.

Pulling up on the tulle bow on the top of the card makes the center front panel pop up and reveals a message on the front of the card as well on the back.

Tutorial for this card by Beate Johns can be found at Splitcoast Stampers in the Tutorial section here. Always enjoy making this type of card because it's not too difficult to put together, yet always sure to bring a smile to it's recipient!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Whoa! That is an amazing card! I love the kokeshi doll and how well all the parts work together. You are a master card maker and very generous to share the how-to site. I'm certain that the recipient was overwhelmed by your creativity and hard work to create the 'perfect' birthday card.

Tina H said...

Oh my goodness! This is just too cute! I really want to try a card like this! TFS Hugs, Tina