Sunday, July 12, 2015

Graduation: Words of Wisdom from Dr. Seuss

Only had one graduation card to make this year, for the son of one of hubby's co-workers. Unfortunately, I was lost for any fresh new ideas, so I ended up going with my old favorite recessed window card again. For this card, I used a photo of the graduate's high school campus inside the recessed window and made a few subtle changes to the front cover panel of the grad card cutfile that I created a few years ago. Of course I updated the year to "2015" and changed the graduate's name (partially blocked out in photo for privacy). But this time around I also flipped the graduate image to face to the right and by moved the "Class Of" to the bottom of the window. I thought this helped the campus photo show up better and seemed to make the card look more "balanced".  And as you will see below, I completely changed the inside of the card...

Oh...and I also added a paper pieced hot air balloon onto the window to give a hint of what's inside the card...

Totally inspired by the graduation cards created by my blogging pal, Patti of Creations By Patti, I decided to add Four Step Pop Up insert for a fun surprise to the inside of this card.

Using the Four Step Card template designed and shared by Norma on her blog, From My Craft Room as a guide, I created a cutfile using Make The Cut (MTC) to fit inside my card.

The hot air balloms are a freebie cutfile from SVG Cuts, and clouds were cut using the Swirly Clouds die fromTaylored Expressions.

I added an excerpt from everyone's favorite Dr. Seuss...remember this one? It's from "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" A bit of childhood advice from Dr. Seuss that never grows old.

Here's the Four Step Pop Up Card from the top. I was happy that once I had the template for the insert cut, the assembly of this fun pop up card was quite easy. Pretty sure I'll be making this type of card again real soon.


2 comments:

Jeni said...

I love it! I haven't made any graduation cards this year, but I may keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing!!

Tina H said...

This is fantastic! I love the window in the front. What an extraordinary card to receive! I'm sure he loved it! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!!