Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Chinese New Year!

"Gung Hay Fat Choy!" Today is Chinese New Years and the first day of the Year of the Snake. We didn't do much to celebrate, but I did bake up couple batches of almond cookies and put together another style of gable box to put them in. These boxes are a little smaller  (6.5"H x 5"W x 2"D) than the ones I made in January, but still large enough to hold about a dozen small cookies.

This time I wanted my box to look a little more Chinese so I used a lot of red and gold and chose a Chinese papercut image to decorate it. Since I didn't want to spend too much time poking out all the tiny cuts in the snake, I chose to simplify the original image a bit in Adobe Photoshop before importing it to MTC to create a cutfile. Shadow layer for the snake and kanji character for snake "hebi" was also created in MTC and cut in gold metallic cardstock. Used foam tape to pop the snake up onto a red circle and backed it with gold Stardream cardstock embossed with Spellbinders Asian M-Bossabilities folder. Clipped the corners with a Stampin' Up Ticket punch and backed it with more red cardstock. 
Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year filled with good health and good luck!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I swear, your stuff looks so professional... not handmade! Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Creations by Patti said...

FABULOUS JOB on the box......where's thos e cookies? Love the snake image plucked and made into a cut file in MTC..........you go, gurl!!!! Great inspiration!!! hugs, Patti