Sunday, May 29, 2011

Berry Sweet!

Have you met Berry Puppy? I recently came across this cute little puppy from San-X for the first time while browsing at a Morning Glory shop near my home. I found out later that she's actually been around for almost 3 years now, and quite a hit in Japan. Thinking she'd be cute to use on a birthday card for my niece, I bought a couple Berry Puppy notepads and stationery. Then when I got home, I traced her by hand, scanned my traced image and converted it into a cutfile using MTC.
I decided to use my Berry Puppy to make my first triple tiered slider card. First saw this type of card in my Annie's Attic Interactive Cards book, but found the instructions to be too confusing and difficult to follow. Then a few months ago, I saw this card again, created and shared by my very creative blogging friend Michele, on her blog, My Simple Crafts. Loved how Michele's cards turned out, and I'm so grateful that she shared the link for a much simpler tutorial by Heather Summers over at Splitcoast Stampers.
For my card, I changed the dimensions of Heather's original card just a bit to make the upper two tiers smaller so it would look more like a three tiered cake. Then instead of the tab pull Heather used at the top of the card, I glued candles onto a trimmed circle as my pull.  I used printed cardstock from DCWV for my cake layers...I liked that the borders on the paper meant less embellishing on my part except on the top layer where I used a Martha Stewart Daisy edge punch. Nestabilities Labels Four dies were used for the greetings.
Lastly, I added a piece of cardstock folded in half behind the bottom tier so my card would also open like a traditional card where I could add  a birthday sentiment and sign our names.
Pretty much happy with how this turned out, but will definitely have to make a cutfile for this in Design Studio on my next attempt. I spent too much time measuring, and cutting and scoring (and wasting paper!) this first time around...better to let my Cricut do the cutting next time!

5 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Oh this is such sweet card. LOVE IT.

Joy said...

so cute! love this berry pup! he's perfect for this card. love what you made. hope you are having a great memorial day!

Cheryl said...

So sweet! Love how you made it yourself. I still have not tried doing those cut files. Where is the best place to learn?

Kelly said...

OMG Eunice, this card is adorable. There is no doubt that you niece will cherish it. I can't believe you drew this adorable pup then converted for you MTC software, Your talents never end!

Marsha said...

Adorable! Reminds me of the ever so cute Hello Kitty!