Sunday, November 7, 2010

Double Birthday Celebration

Here's another Asian themed birthday card I recently created with the Cricut Pagoda cartridge Design Studio, and Make the Cut. This one was for a double surprise birthday party for dh's aunt and uncle who both celebrate their birthday in September. I chose to use the koi, or carp image (from the Pagoda cartridge) since it is a symbol of strength and longevity in Asian culture. Since it was to be for a double birthday, I decided to use two koi.

In Design Studio, I rotated one of the koi shadows and welded them both together to create a frame for for the kanji. I knew I wanted to use the Chinese character for longevity ("shou" in Chinese or "kotobuki" in Japanese) for my card, but was disappointed that it was not one included in the Pagoda cartridge. Did a Google search on line for the character, copied one I liked, then used Make the Cut to render it into a cutfile and create a shadow for it.
Base of the card is String of Pearls Bazzill Bling, run through a Cuttlebug embossing folder from their Asian bundle. Sprayed the red koi pieces with Tsukineko gold spritz, and assembled everything with foam dots for dimension. I used metallic gold cardstock for the koi, currency gold cardstock for its shadows, and red foil cardstock for the kanji. Corners were cut with a die from the Sizzix Architectural corners set.

6 comments:

Michele said...

This is such a beautiful card!! I love the red and gold colors. You're a real DS/MTC pro! Awesome job Eunice!!

Creations by Patti said...

Eunice

This is bsolutely beautiful!!!!! This card is a true work of art!!! I agree with you about the lacking of the long life word in the Pagoda cart - WHAT were they thinking? Great job on this card.....it will motivate me to re-look at MTC - just haven't had the coruage to make the plunge.
Again - a beautiful prpoject!!!!

hugs,
Patti

Cyndi said...

awesome card! love how the two colors stand out!

Kelly said...

This is beautiful Eunice! How creative for you to use 2 images to symbolize the double celebration!

Jenny said...

Another awesome card. You amaze me in how you make your own stuff if you don't have anything pre-made! Wish I didn't get so frustrated w/my cricut. Your stuff is so nice!

Joy said...

gotta love your asian cards! you do such fabulous cards like this and it's such a wonderful card to receive! love it! have a wonderful week!