Sunday, July 17, 2016

Island Style High School Graduation

One last graduation card for a cousin's granddaughter who graduated from a local high school this year.  Here in the islands, several of the high schools (including the one this girl attended) have their seniors graduate dressed in formal Hawaiian attire instead of the usual traditional cap and gown.
I wanted to make another easel type graduation card similar to the one I made earlier for the Seattle University graduate, but changed it up for a girl graduating in a formal white muu muu.

I made a very simple paper pieced portrait of a girl by layering basic shapes together in the Make the Cut program.  Then I had fun dressing her. By gluing together a combination of mulberry flowers, and paper punched blossoms and sprigs, I made a wreath (or Haku lei) for her head.

I ran her dress through Cuttlebug's Textile embossing folder to give the look of the woven textured fabric often used for formal muu muus. Her Maile lei was put together by layering several leafy branches cut from Stampin' Up's  Sizzix Little Leaves die and the diploma is a sheet of vellum rolled and tied with ribbon.


I added the graduate's name, class and high school coat of arms to the stop of this easel card to personalize it. I always enjoy adding a bit of personalization to the cards I make with the hope that each recipient will feel more special knowing this one of a kind card was made especially for them.

4 comments:

CarlavdM said...

OOhh..Eunice this card is breathtaking wonderfull.
She is going to luv it...for sure!

Jadams said...

Lovely keepsake card.
You did it again, Eunice!

LostnThought said...

Your card is gorgeous! I'm sure she will feel extra special to receive it!

Tina H said...

Wow!This is gorgeous!! Your creations are so inspiring. I am really considering purchasing Make The Cut when I see your lovely work! Do you recommend it Eunice?? I went to the website and it doesn't look like the software is still being supported since the group discussions are older and there is a pic of Windows 8 and not Windows 10... What do you think???