Sunday, June 17, 2018

Fathers Day Explosion Box

It's Fathers Day, and believe it or not, I somehow managed to come up with yet another golf themed card for hubby. His Fathers Day card this year was an Explosion Box card... it's been quite awhile since I last made one of these, but have you noticed how creative and clever card makers have continued to evolve the look of the Explosion Box card by adding miniature 3 dimensional scenes inside? Of course I just had to try one with a golf course scene, right!

For the focal point of my golf course scene, I purchased a template for a very cool looking 3-D golf cart/gift card holder designed by Lorri Heiling from her blog, Confessions of A Stamping Addict. I'm not exactly sure on the actual size of  Lori's original golf cart, but I believe her template creates a cart approximately 5 inches long, and 3 inches high where the gift card sits on the roof of the cart. Lorri's cart even has a place on the back of the cart which can hold real golf tees! But for my purposes here, I needed the golf cart to be really, really tiny so it would fit inside my explosion box. I used Make the Cut design program to shrink the template so the finished size of the cart would not be more than 2 inches in length. I also replaced the tee holder from the original template with a miniature golf bag which I made by rolling cardstock into a tube and filling with mini golf clubs cut using  a cutting file created from a coloring book image.


Different than the usual Explosion Box cards where all four sides of the box fall open, I kept two  adjoining sides together so they would remain standing to create a corner for my scene. Luckily, golf course scenes are pretty simple to recreate, so most of the landscape was hand cut. The trees are a Doodlebug cutting file from the Lori Whitlock shop and the clouds were created in Make the Cut.  I added my sentiment to one of sides that falls open and a pocket for a gift card to the other.

Here's the finished box all put together with the lid on. Thought it looked a bit too plain so I snuck a couple of  tees from hubby's stash and added a bow to make it look a little more festive. Not a fancy card, but hoping hubby will like it!

No comments: