Saturday, April 16, 2016

Asian Fan Accordion Card


It's been a while since I've made an accordion style card using acetate so I decided to put one together for my sweet friend Lorna who celebrated her birthday earlier this year. For this card, I used the Sizzix Accordion Card die designed by Karen Burniston.

For each of the panels with the fans, I ran the die through three times; once with acetate and twice with cardstock for the outer frames. A word about the acetate: the first time I attempted this type of card I recall using a medium weight sheet of scrapbook type acetate sheet which I felt didn't fold easily resulting in a very bulky card. So this time I chose to use a thinner, transparency acetate, which folded much easier but ended up tearing and breaking off at the pivot points just as I thought I had finished the card. I redid the torn panels, but I'm afraid this card won't withstand much opening and closing. Next time I'll definitely stick to the thicker acetate.

Fans were cut using the fan image from the Cricut Pagoda cartridge using black cardstock and brightly patterned washi papers.

The first panel of the card was cut from cardstock instead of acetate because I needed a place to add my sentiment and I wanted to keep the inside of the card hidden until it was opened.

On the front I added a Kimono Marci digital image from Lala Land. Colored her with copics and paper pieced her kimono with washi paper.

And finally, the finished card, folded closed and ready to go into a washi decorated petal fold envelope. I was happy with how this card turned out (except for the issue with the tearing of the acetate), and am thinking I'd like to try another similar version soon, maybe using the smaller Elizabeth Craft dies also designed by Karen Burniston.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so pretty! Love this!

Jan Castle said...

Eunice, this is absolutely STUNNING! It has been quite a while since I have commented even tho' I like all your projects. Could not pass up this opportunity to tell you how extraordinary this card is!!!! LOve It!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your inspiration!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Jadams said...

Lovely card.