Saturday, September 5, 2015

Domo Happy Birthday!

My dearest and long time friend Pat is a big fan of the mascot to Japan's NHK broadcasting company, Domo-kun, so I wanted to surprise her with some fun Domo-kun themed goodies for her birthday.

I started out by making this tiered chocolate birthday cake card. The cake, frosting and candles were created by welding basic shapes together in Make the Cut (MTC) and cut using my Silhouette Cameo. The little rosettes were cut from the Springtime Tea die from Cottage Cutz and lacey corners were cut using Spellbinders D-Lites Corner Flourish Two die. Used Stickles and a Marvy Glitter pen to add some fun shimmer and sparkle.

Made this into what I call an "open down" card...the top layer of frosting on the card keeps the card closed. Gently lifting up on this layer of frosting drops the front of the card down to open the card...

...and LOL, it's Domo-kun with frosting and candles on his head with a birthday wish!

The pop up Happy Birthday sentiment was created Make the Cut and Arial font.

And I had MTC trace an image found online to make a cutting file for Domo kun.

Next, I made this gift card holder to include as part of Pat's Domo kun themed birthday gift.


This is a trifold pop up type gift card holder inspired by Angie Leach on her blog, Too Cool Stamping. Comic Sans font was used to create the word "Celebrate" on the front of the card, and I found a cute Domo kun border online to add to the inside.

Then finally, as I was getting ready to wrap Pat's gift, I got a wild and crazy idea to decorate the box as well! I enlarged the Domo kun cutting file I had created for her giftcard to make a huge paper pieced Domo kun to add to the front of the gift box...LOL...so fun! Hoping Pat enjoyed her crazy Domo kun birthday surprise as much as I had fun putting this together!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy moly! I love Domo! He is so adorable! Pat is going to love this guy. Hehe, I wouldn't mind receiving him too! Lol

CarlavdM said...

What a fun card, your friend is going to LUV this for sure.

Lynn said...

Oh so cute and clever! I'm sure the recipient will be super pleased.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

You knocked this out of the park again Eunice. Patti will guaranty LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your card. I always admire all the details you put into your cards/projects and it shows they come from the heart.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leanne said...

Get out of town!! omg Eunice!! This is soo totally COOL!!! You're imagination never ceases to amaze me! This is one of thee best birthday cards I've ever seen!! Wow, I bet your friend was just as amazed, this is definitely KAWAII!! Wow, pretty awesome!!