Monday, October 13, 2014

Coffee, Anyone?

About a week before my dear friend Heather celebrated her birthday last month, I found myself in a creative slump and at a loss for any good ideas for a card. That's when I decided to chuck the idea of a card and go with a fun papercraft gift instead. Heather's a fan of caffeine, so I wanted to give her a Starbucks gift card and I thought this mini coffee maker and mug would be a fun addition.
The cutting file for this comes from SVG Cutting Files...definitely a favorite place to go for the most  unique, creative and one of a kind cutting files! This one is called "Cuppa Joe". The coffee maker was a breeze to put together; the mug a little trickier because of it's rounded shape.
The personalized logo on the cup is a freebie file, which I picked up from a past SVG Cutting Files blog hop. Filled the mug with candy...See's Caffe Latte, of course! But after adding the candy to the mug, I found that the weight of the candies was a bit much so I decided to reinforce the back panel of the coffee maker by adding another layer of cardstock. I also sandwiched a thin metal plate in between an additional layer of cardstock on the "burner" and glued a little magnet inside the mug so that it would sit nicely in place.
All in all, quite a fun project to put together and a nice change in pace from the usual birthday card!

6 comments:

sittinprettyinpink said...

Super cute!

Tina H said...

This is fantastic! I've had my eye on this file! What a great gift :) You are the sweetest friend!

Lynn said...

You are exposing your creative genius genes again. This is so much better than a card. Your friend will be thrilled.

CarlavdM said...

WOW this would make a great gift for a Barista toooo. Like the whole look of it.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Holy cow Eunice. You sure whip up the most creative projects. Your caffeine loving friend will TOTALLY LOVE this.

Jadams said...

My DIL would like this project...but with a Dunkin Donuts mug :0)