Sunday, July 6, 2014

Graduation Cap Gift Box

The second graduation card/gift that I got finished on time was for the sister of the pharmacy school graduate. Her high school graduation was just two weeks after her brother's graduation! Wow, can you imagine all the excitement going on in that family?
I had a difficult time trying to come up with graduation card ideas this year so I opted to do something completely different. Been wanting to try this graduation cap box designed and shared as a freebie cutting file by Sunghee of Little Potato Studio for a while now. Thought it might be fun to put together using the graduate's school colors and stuff  with $$$ in lieu of a card. Kept the embellishments simple by adding just a banner with the graduate's name and a piece of vellum rolled and tied with ribbon to look like a diploma. The tassel was made with embroidery floss and metallic cording and kept in place with a brad.
To add to the fun I cut a slit wide enough for bills to easily pass through on one of the sides of the cap. Using thin strips of Scotch Transparent tape, I taped the money together end to end to get a LONG strip of bills. Rolled this up, placed it inside the box and glued the top of the box closed to create a fun "cash dispenser". "Class of 2014" cutfile was created in MTC with Amazone font and cut on the Silhouette.
For a personalized sentiment, I searched online for the graduate's school logo to use as the backdrop and printed it from my computer using Broderbund Printshop. Used Spellbinder Labels 2 dies to cut it out and adhered it to the bottom of the box. Wrapped the finished hat box in cellophane and put it in a gift bag together with a lei I had crocheted earlier using eyelash yarns and satin rattail cording...whew...finished just in time!

4 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

OMGosh Eunice, you never cease to amaze me. This is super darn amazing and what a CLEVER idea to add a slit to make this grad cap gift box a cash dispenser. Love the idea! Have a great week.

Jadams said...

wonderful project, Eunice.
I really like the roll of money idea.
And thanks for the link to the file.

Leanne said...

Oh my goodness Eunice!! What an amazing graduation gift!! You totally blew me away here!! Love it and I bet your friends daughter loved it even more!! Glad you shared this, it's awesome!!

Creations by Patti said...

LOVE the graduation cap with the rollout money all conencted - very fun!!! And, a crochet syelash lei - very nice!