Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy 2nd Anniversary

March 3rd is a special day for our family, not only because it's Girls Day but also because it's the day my daughter and son in law got married 2 years ago. I like that it's a date I won't ever forget, but *sigh* I guess as long as I continue making treats for Girls Day, my card to them will unfortunately continue to be late every year... 
For their 2nd Anniversary, I decided I wanted to give a try at making one of those neat flying easel cards I've been seeing posted on many blogs recently...
Unfortunately...due to my poor planning and hurry to get this done, I just couldn't get my flying easel card to work out the way it's supposed to. After attaching the heart shaped photo onto the frame using clear fishing line, I couldn't get it to sit correctly in the frame as I hoped it would. I liked the motion of free spinning photo in the frame, but at rest, the photo always ended up facing to the side instead of face forward as I wanted. I guess it has something to do with physics and balance. In the end I gave up and used a strip clear acetate to hold the photo in place instead. I still got the effect of the photo being suspended in the frame, but lost the fun spinning movement. Guess I'll just have to give the spinning easel card another go later when I'm not so late.
Here's a closeup of the top of the heart frame; if you look closely toward the center top you can see the strip of acetate I used to hold the photo in place inside the frame.
The lacy heart frame was created in Make the Cut and the doves and streamers were cut from Cottage Cutz Dove with Ribbons die. Copics were used to add shading to the doves and color the ribbons green. I used a Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust pen to add glittery accents to the ribbons and heart frame and added flat back pearls to embellish the frame.
Martha Steward layered arches edge punch was used to create a lacy border embellished with more flatback pearls to act as the stop for this easel card. "Happy Anniversary" sentiment and shadow was created in MTC using CAC Shishoni Brush font.
Here's how the front of card looks when closed flat. Fancy corners were cut from LaLa Land's Filigree Corner die.The emobssing you see peeking through the heart window behind the photo is the negative piece I got from cutting that window, embossed using Cuttlebug's Jamara folder...the same embossing that we used to create the couple's wedding invitations 2 years ago. 
I used the embossed heart piece to create a heart shaped card and adhered it to the inside of the main card so it would show through the heart shaped window.
And finally, a shot of the inner heart card open with our best wishes for the happy couple. Although this card didn't turn out quite as I had imagined, I'm hoping my daughter and son in law will like it. The photo of the couple I used is from their engagement shoot prior to the wedding and hopefully this card will help to trigger some wonderful memories for them.

5 comments:

Jan Castle said...

A GORGEOUS card...they will love it!
Jan

Leanne said...

Eunice, this is beyond amazing. Wow, I've yet to see a flying easel card so I am intrigued... :)
I bet they will love this card, not only for the beautiful details but the love that was used to create it.
^.^

Lynn said...

That's so beautiful. I've never heard about a flying easel card but it is amazing. Your daughter and husband must have loved it. You are a great creative mom!

Jadams said...

Such a lovely card, Eunice.
Congrats to the couple!

PJ

Creations by Patti said...

Gorgeous anniversary card!!!