Sunday, February 16, 2014

You Got Mail, Valentine!

Valentine mailboxes were the hottest thing several years ago and though I really wanted to try making them, me being the S-L-O-W crafter that I am, I never got around to it till now. Decided to finally try one as a Valentine surprise for my daughter and son in law. Cutting file template for the mailbox comes from My Scrap Chick and I was pleasantly surprised that it came together pretty quick and easy.
Funnest part is embellishing, of course! Went with their wedding "lovebirds" theme again with this cute dollar cutfile from Country Life Graphics for the front lid. Added a simple border all around the bottom edge using the Martha Stewart Layered Arches edge punch.
Then on the back of the mailbox I added a bit of personalization using a cutfile created in MTC using Beautiful ES font.
Here's the mailbox opened. I really like how you can line the inside of the box with coordinating patterned paper to give it a finished look. Of course one of my favorite things about this mailbox is the flag. I kept mine simple with just hearts and rhinestone borders, but I've seen some really fun ones others have done up real fancy. I used a glittered brad to hold it place and I think it's so cool how you can position it up or down.
Had so much fun putting this together that I decided to do a few more to share with friends and family...
Ended up making twelve more mailboxes...LOL! What was I thinking?...and "bearly" finishing in time.

I used a paper piecing cutfile called "Mac and Cheese" from Treasure Box Designs for the teddy on the front covers...
 ...and "Hugs n Kisses" on the backside is a Cricut cutting file from the Create A Critte 2 cartridge.
And here's the insides... I sized the mailbox template so my boxes were 5 inches long and 3-1/2 inches high...plenty of room to hold a dozen cookies or more. Wrapped the  cookie filled mailboxes in cellophane bags tied with a bow and they were ready to go!

Oh, and of course I couldn't forget Latte's poochie pals....
Their doggie treat bags got decorated using an adorable doggie cutfile called "Puppy Love" from Little Scraps of Heaven Designs.
The original image is of a Shih Tzu puppy, but I left off the patches and made her all white so she'd look more like our own little Maltese furbaby, Latte. TR Candice font was used to create the "Ruff you!" sentiment in MTC.
 
Valentines are always fun to make and pass out, but nothing beats receiving a special Valentine, right?
My dear sweet friend Lorna always spoils us at work with all her beautiful handmade creations, and her Valentine surprise treat this year was this amazing wishing well! Love everything about this sweet treat box and can't get over all the little details Lorna added to make this so extra special...the lacy cut border on the roof, the ribbon wrapped poles, sweet heart flowers and grass, and of course cute little Heart Key Marci from Lala Land Crafts, beautifully colored. Ummm...can't wait to open this up so I can enjoy the pretty little decorated cookies tucked inside the well!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Valentine's weekend sharing the love!


6 comments:

Jan Castle said...

Oh so cute Eunice...bet everyone was thrilled to receive their own mailbox!
Adorable wishing wells too...kudos to your friend!
Jan

Creations by Patti said...

LOVE this project!!!!! Great job on the mailboxes!

Lynn said...

Wow, those are cute treat holders. I especially like the ones you made for Latte. Lucky dogs and people who received them.

Anonymous said...

Wow, once you got started on these mailboxes you didn't stop! They are all lovely.
Pj

Leanne said...

Wow Eunice, these are all so cute and sweet!!
I bet everyone loved theirs.
That wishing well with Marci is also adorable. Great share!
Have a great weekend!
^.^

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Holy cow Eunice, you sure went all out. These are sooooo dang adorable. Bet everyone was all smiles, ear to ear.