Monday, October 8, 2012

Hydrangeas for Mom

I love hydrangeas! Been seeing so many beautiful hydrangea cards on the internet, and have always wanted to try making one too. Thought it would also be a good time to test the circle swing/swivel card cut file I created in MTC earlier this year.
The hydrangea cut file comes from the now retired Walk In My Garden Cricut cartridge. I wasn't happy with the leaves on the cartridge so I used a Marvy Uchida leaf punch instead. Leaves were then crimped with a crimping tool and stained with distress inks.
I chose two shades of blue Bazzill Bling for the flower, using the darker shade for the base and the lighter shade for the individual florets. Edges were sponged with blue and purple pearlescent pigment inks (Tsukineko Brilliance) and flowers were shaped with an embossing tool. Drops of glitter glue were added to the flower centers as the final step after the individual florets were glued in place.
Here's how the card swivels open. One of the leaves on the bottom had to be trimmed to allow the card to properly swing open. The trimmed off piece was then glued on to the base card.
On the inside of the card, I used a free SVG from Shery K Designs for the flourished round tag. Corner flourishes were cut from a sizzlit die from the Architectural Accents set and the "embossing" on the base card was done by using my Martha Stewart scoreboard and a bone folder to make scorelines 1 inch apart.
This card was created for my mil who celebrated her birthday last month. Really enjoyed making this, and am thinking I may want to do a few more, probaby smaller and maybe in white or pink. But first I still have a couple more swing/swivel cutfiles I need to test...

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my! Your hydrangea swing card is marvelous. I am also a big hydrangea fan. My yard has a few plants which bloom, sometimes. I love the dainty individual flowers you made and all the details that you included. What a refreshing way to use the swing card. Thank you for the new ideas my brain has sucked in and is now processing.

Jan Castle said...

Truly a gorgeous card!!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan