Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012

Really struggled this year with getting all my Halloween projects done on time! These two coffin shaped "boxes" were the first thing I completed...had to get them done early so I could mail them to dd and her hubby last week.
 So the original plan was to make and decorate coffin boxes filled with Halloween candies...I even purchased the cut file to do exactly that. But when it came time to cut the boxes, I suddenly changed my mind. I really wanted to try something more fun and different...with at least a little bit of an unexpected surprise factor...

 I started out by decorating the front of the coffin boxes. I used Tokidoki's CiaoCiao to dress up the top of one box and a spider and spiderwebs for the other. All cuts on these boxes except the bat, spider and CiaoCiao are free svg files created and shared by Bird of Bird's Cards. The bat and spider are from a Cuttlebug die, and the cutfile for CiaoCiao was created in MTC.
Then, instead of making a box, I decided to use the old candy bar pull idea. Remember that one? Here's how it works...


Pull up on the ribbon on the top and out slides a candy bar...with a skeleton!

 Pull up on the ribbon on the top and out slides CiaoCiao's soulmate, Adios!
You can find the tutorial for the basic candy bar pull by Selma over at Selma's Stamping Corner. I just changed mine up a bit by creating a "boxy" sleeve for my candy bar instead of a pouch. To create the sleeve, I used a piece of cardstock 5.25" x 5.5" and scored at 0.5", 2.5", 3", and 5". I then glued on a coffin shaped front and back to the sleeve.
Also did several more of these for friends using Vampire Hello Kitty...


The surprise pull up skeleton on these are a cut from Cricut's Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge. I thought he looked a little cuter than the one I had used earlier for the first coffin box I did.
As much fun as these coffin boxes were to make, admittedly they took more time than I had...I needed to come up with some treats that were quick but still cute. So this is what I came up with next...
The idea for these candy bar wrappers came originally from an article from Woman's Day Magazine online, complete with instructions and templates. The original templates for these fit a large size chocolate bar, and after creating a cutfile for these in MTC, I realized I would need more than 1 sheet of cardstock for each! That's when I decided to scale down the size of the template to fit a snack size candy bar instead.

Next thing I did was to change off the original vampire's head with Vampire Hello Kitty and Kuromi...

Added a bat and stamped Happy Halloween to the wings inside, and tied it closed with a bow. These were pretty quick to do and I was able to finish 20 of these just in time!

For our Halloween treats for our family, I decorated gift bags using a free cutfile from My Scrap Chick. This was originally a Friday Freebie tag svg which I enlarged to fit the bag.

If you have a cutting machine (like the Silhouette or eClips) that uses svg files, be sure to sign up for the My Scrap Chick newsletter to get access to the cutest new freebie svg files every Friday!

And...for my last Halloween project this year, I decorated these gift bags to hold doggie treats for Latte's doggie pals. Snoopy and jack-o-lantern image was found doing an image search on Google and having MTC create a cutfile for it.

Speaking of Latte...here she is, though not too happy...in her skeleton costume wishing you all a safe and Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my god, these treats are amazing!!! I wouldn't eat the candy for fear it would ruin the project! Hope you had a Happy Halloween!

Creations by Patti said...

Wow - that's lots of Halloween projects to get finished!!! I'm exhausted just seeing all of them!!! They are are so much fun!!! Thanks for sharing such creativity and inspiration! Hugs, P

Cheryl said...

OMG!!! What a bunch of fantastic projects you made to give out! Love that Ciao, ciao and all those HK diecuts you made. How did you make it?? I like the one with the bat wings. Did you use a punch?

Lynn said...

You must have dressed up as Creative Superwoman this year. Your treat holder projects are amazing. I especially loved the bat wrappers and coffin boxes....so clever! Thank you for giving me great ideas to use for next Halloween.