Sunday, June 24, 2012

Resurgence of the Swing Card

Have you seen the new line of Flip-It dies from Sizzix? Gee...wish these were around when I was struggling with my Christmas cards couple years ago! When I first learned to make this type of card, they were called "Swing" or "Swivel Cards"... now Sizzix is marketing them as "Flip It" cards and making them so easy to create! I especially love that they're available in so many fun shapes!
Anywho, seeing all the excitement generated by these new dies got me wanting to make one again too. Searched my Design Studio files to find the cutfile I created two Christmases ago using the George cartridge so that I could use it again to make this  Swing style birthday card for my dear friend, Kris.
 
Used Cricut Hello Kitty Font cartridge for the Hello Kitty fairy cuts. Created a mirror image of the fairy in blue using Design Studio so I could place her back to back onto the swing element. This way she could appear on both the front and on the inside of the card. The puffy cloud-like label is from Cricut Elegant Edges cartridge. Inked the edges of the label with Tumbled Glass Tim Holtz Distress ink and used it for my sentiment on the front of the card and again as the base for the giftcard holder inside.
Digital patterned paper is from the Chic Jessica Paper Pack by Woofy World at My Grafico, corners are from the Cuttlebug Vintage die set, and font is Lettering Delights LD Charming Light. Added Stickles glitter to the fairy wings, flatback adhesive pearls and a white organza bow to finish it off.
On a side note....with the growing popularity of the Sizzix Flip It dies, I've noticed that several very innovative crafters have even come up with ways to re-create this type of card using other types of shapes dies. Dawn Griffith from Dawns Stampin' Studio uses her Stampin Up Framelits dies and shows how she does it here
 As for myself, I guess I'll need to try and figure out a way to do this card in different shapes using either Design Studio or Make the Cut...lol, I just love a challenge to create a new cutfile!

6 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

This flip-it card is "heavenly" gorgeous!!! The soft blue DP with corner accents are perfect with the adorable HK angels. I'm really admiring it a lot.

Lynn said...

Oh, that's a lovely Hello Kitty fairy flip card. Yes, you are right that it is a snap to use the Sizzix dies but it is fantastic that you can do it without the die too.

Creations by Patti said...

LOVE this flipping card for KRIS!!!! How lucky she is!!!!! You did a great job on this flipping card. Love the Hello Kitty, too. Love those Cuttlebug corners. I just gotta start using mine. Have a great week! Hugs, P

Colleen said...

I love the flip it dies. There's no need to score anything or do any measuring. The Hello Kittys look adorable on the scene that you created.

Little C's Creations said...

LOL!!! Yes Eunice!!! I saw the sizzix dies @ J's today... and I was thinking the same thing that I could make it on my Cricut.... but I stay rusty! Will have to sit and think... Wanna make the different shapes.... hahaha... hopefully I am successful!!

Your card is soooo CUTE and sweet!! Love the colors, and all the cute swirls in the corner! U did such an awesome job!!

Much Hugs n' Blessings...
Jen

Cami said...

OMGosh, this swing card is SO cute! Those HK images are the sweetest, the colors are so soft and pretty, and your swirls add a lovely touch. Again, another card to drool over!