Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sweet Girls Day Wishes

Hina Matsuri (Doll Festival) or Momo No Sekku (Peach Festival) is celebrated on March 3rd. Also known as Girls Day, it is the day we send wishes of good luck and happiness to the girls in our families.

And this is the card I made to send our Girls Day wishes to dd this year...

It's called a Double Display card, and I when I first saw Teri's cute card, I knew I had to give it a try too. Teri posted links to Brenda's blog, sweet as a gumdrop, where I found even more wonderful samples of this card as well as a template and tutorial! Isn't the blogging network just so awesome?!!! (BTW, you must go take a peek at the amazing creativity going on over at Brenda's blog! She is one talented lady...wait till you see all the cute punch art she creates!)

This card is very similar to the Tri Shutter Card, but with a few additional folds. I really like how the focal point on this card is center stage when you pull open the sides...


Here's what the card looks like when open. The folds and panels on inside of this card reminded me a lot of the screens placed behind Japanese Girls Day doll displays, so I thought it would be a perfect place to put my kimono dressed Hello Kitty!

The image of Hello Kitty in her kimono originally came from a coloring book, which was scanned, then rendered into a cut file using Make The Cut. Fans were cut from glittered, printed cardstock from Best Creation Inc. using the Pagoda cartridge.

I used embossing folders from the new Cuttlebug Asian Bundle to do the embossing on the front (red) and inside (gold) panels. Large and medium sakura punches were then adhered to the gold inside panels for my sentiments. Red and pink sakura borders were cut from Japanese washi paper.

Here's a top view of the showing the folds and cuts which create the panels on this card.

For treats to share with friends, I created these Japanese Doll treat holders in Design Studio.

These were created to share at the last Cricut Club meeting over at Photocraft a couple weeks ago.
The Design Studio cutfile for this box uses George, Paper Dolls Dress Up, and Stone Script cartridges.

The kimonos were cut from Bazzill in pretty pastels, then run thru the sakura embossing folder from Cuttlebug's Asian Bundle.

For the obi in the back, I used a large plastic molding tool from the Punch Bunch embossing tool kit. It has a large rounded tip which I used to puff the obi bow out and give it a bit of dimension.
This is a new (for me) technique I recently learned from my friend Norice at Creations Unlimited. I still need more practice, but I kinda liked the way it turned out.

Here's a side view showing the boxes of Japanese Pretz crackers I put inside. Found that small boxes of Strawberry or Coffee Milk Pokky crackers fit nicely too.

After cutting out the fans for dd's card, I had enough left over printed glittered cardstock to make the kimono for this one...really love that paper!

Tags for my treat bags were cut using the sakura image and tag feature on the Pagoda cartridge. I used the molding tool again, this time on the sakura petals to give them a little shape and dimension.Stamped the tags with a cute sentiment from Dandelion Designs.
I put the dolls into cellophane bags and finished them off with a bow and tag.

Hope everyone had a fun filled Girls Day!

14 comments:

Kelly said...

OMG...you have been SUPER busy! I love ALL of these cards, you are so creative! I wish we had a "girl day" here!

Cathy Y. said...

Wow, your girl's day card is so impressive! I love the oriental look just like japanese screen doors - cute hello kitty too!
What you did w/the kimono doll favors is super cute too! You're so talented - very nicely done!

Joy said...

you are truly amazing with that cricut! I love all your fabulous ideas and what you come up with! these are so pretty and I love the sakuras, HK kimono...just everything! you are so talented! thanks for the inspiration and giving us something wonderful to look at!

Kyoko said...

Hi Eunice ... long time no talk! I totally lost my mojo, but it's starting to slowly creep back!

OMG, I AM LOVING YOUR CREATIONS! Everything is just tooo cute and I am at a llst for words! TFS!

Huggies,
Kyoko

Joy said...

WOWEE! Thise projects are so pretty! I love the card and the way the fans fold out. Beautiful creations!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, Eunice. Every little detail is lovely.
Wish I had a smidge of your creativity. Thanks for sharing.

PJ(Jessie Adams)

Unknown said...

OMG ... all of your projects are amazing.

Miura's Party Things said...

Aloha, I've got to say that I just love your work! Question: What is a cut filewith Make the cut? Is it with the cricut if not what machine, i'd really like to cut out the kimono's that you made for the hello kitty's!
thanks deanna

Lynn said...

I've got to visit your site more often. The Girl's Day projects are spectacular! I scrolled down to your Tokidoki Valentine card and couldn't believe my eyes. Fabulous work!

Creations by Patti said...

OMG - truly amazing projects. Love them all!!!! Some day I will visit the island and def have to look you up to attend a class. TFS. hugs, Patti

Jenny said...

Hi Eunice,
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this card! You totally rock! I'm gonna have to case this one for sure if I can figure out how to make that HK! I also love those japaneses girls.. so clever! Thanks for sharing all your cute creations.

Jenny
crazyforpaper.blogspot.com

Naya said...

How cute is this. I'll have to save this idea for later. Thanks for sharing.

**CrEaTiNgWiThAlOhA** said...

how gorgeous love the HK in kimono and the fans to go with it....wow so beautiful...TFS....hugs Liann

Unknown said...

Hi Eunice,

I have always been amazed at all your creations but this is just really, really amazing!! I tried to email you but I don't have Outlook so I couldn't get your email. Would you please send it to me?

Sharon
str.stampin@gmail.com